Sure. Hypothetically, say Obama hires some burglars to break into GOP HQ and steal some things, then covers it up, has an affair in the Oval Office, and then eats a baby on live television. Newt then has a shot against an incumbent president who is a proven monster campaigner.
However, barring that, too many people really, really hate Newt. He’s great for the base, but he’ll get murdered in the general, where he’s a household name, and a name that a majority of Americans have already made a decision about. Check out this fun chart from Talking Points Memo.
OVER HALF THE COUNTRY has negative feelings about him.
He has nowhere to go but down. While he and his PACs can assist in making more of America dislike Obama, Newt can’t make them stop not liking him. If Obama is under the 50% positive threshold, it only works if America hasn’t already made up their mind about the other candidate.
Newt has a laundry list of things that make him vulnerable.
- Newt left two wives when they were REALLY ill, to be with his mistresses.
- Newt received massive amounts of money lobbying for institutions he attacks on a daily basis.
- Newt has a $500,000 credit account at Tiffany’s.
- Newt is a angry, angry man.
- Newt is out of touch with Independent voters, pushing hard right on issues that they don’t like. They just want results and jobs, something he has no real solutions for.
- Newt says he’s an outsider, but he used to be the ultimate insider. The 527s, PACs, Obama will have a field day with his history of insider baseball.
- Most importantly, Newt didn’t kill Osama Bin Laden.
Who would you trust if you were an independent? The guy who left 2 wives at the for worse part of their vows? Or the guy who killed Osama Bin Laden, who has a lovely family and has been married to the same person forever?
He is my favorite candidate for all those reasons. Mitt Romney is somewhat inoffensive and harmless, the GOP John Kerry, so he doesn’t nurture the pure unadulterated visceral disdain and hate that Newt will bring to the table.
Newt, you complete me. Keep on truckin in Florida!
If Newt Gingrich wins the GOP primary, can he beat President Obama in the general election?